With Only Seconds To Live, Mom Straps Newborn In Carseat And Tosses Her Out The Window
Cailyn Finkel 2/8/2017
Imagine falling fast asleep with your newborn resting peacefully next to you, only to be woken up by a fire quickly tearing through your home. You only have time for a breath or two before the smoke and flames overcome you. So what do you do? Save yourself or attempt to save your precious baby?
Unfortunately, 21-year-old Shelby Carter and her 12-day-old newborn baby girl, Keana, were dealt that grim fate and Shelby's choice in the face of danger has gone viral.
According to KWQC News, Shelby and Keana were resting in their home when Shelby was awoke by dense smoke and unbearable heat. First responders don't know exactly how long she had to assess the situation, but they assume it was a matter of mere seconds.
In that short period of time, Shelby strapped Keana to her car seat, broke out the upstairs window where they were sleeping and tossed her from the second story to safety! Sadly, the effort to save her newborn baby girl took up the time she had for her own escape, and Shelby was found dead inside the home due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Ed Foglesonger, chief of the Wyoming-Speer Fire Protection District, told the Chicago Tribune that Shelby's actions were heroic and miraculous, to say the least.
"It's just incredible that she was able to pull her thoughts together to save her baby. It's just too bad she couldn't save herself; but I'd say it's nothing short of a miracle the way it ended up."
Keana was transported to a nearby hospital to be treated for her minor burns - but beside that, the newborn is in perfect health. Her mother's quick thinking saved her life and now she'll have the chance to grow into a beautiful young woman!