Mom’s Ambulance Catches Fire After Delivery When She's Dragged Into Home Surrounded By Flames
FaithTap Staff 12/3/2018
Every once in a while we come across a miraculous story. Whether you read it in the news, heard it from a friend, or experience it yourself, life throws us a miracle or two each day. It is enough to make us believe that there must be a higher being or even a guardian angel watching over us.
The story you are about to read is nothing short of a miracle. When deadly wildfire loomed over California, Heather Roebuck found herself in a fight for survival. But thanks to her guardian angels - in the form of a pediatrician, an army of nurses and emergency staff - this young mom managed to make it out alive.
"Camp Fire" was named California's most destructive wildfire in history. The flames engulfed residences, stores, and nearby establishments. It overtook everything on its path without mercy, including the Feather River Hospital.
Heather Roebuck, a new mom, didn't think she could survive.
She had just given birth via C-section when the flames swept across the Northern California town. Her husband and newborn daughter, Halley Harles, managed to evacuate first.
Still numb from the C-section, Heather had to be transported by an ambulance. They had only reached half a mile when the ambulance started to catch fire. As she watched the flames surround them, Heather made what she believed to be the last call to her husband. She explained to USA Today:
"I realized I'm not going to make it. I told [him] on the phone, 'I'm really sorry.' That I just loved him and that I wasn't going to be there with the kids."
A few heart-stopping moments later, a miracle happened. The next thing Heather knew she was being dragged into the dark street on a backboard.
So who was the man who saved her life? It turned out to be David Russell, a pediatrician from the Feather River Hospital. He didn't know Heather or what her condition was. All he knew was that he had to keep her safe no matter what.
Russell managed to bring Heather to a nearby house. Hospital staff, EMT's, and even firefighters worked together to house patients on the garage floor while others fought to keep the flames away. The group was lucky enough to have paradise fire chief David Hawkes show up out of nowhere and lead everyone to safety into a nearby house. The fire chief then instructed nurses and staff to remove pine needles from the house, as well as hose down the outer perimeter of the house, in the hopes that it'd keep the fire out. After the harrowing ordeal, the house suffered zero damage other than a burned down fence.
Heather returned home safely to her family. She's forever grateful to everyone involved - including the homeowners. Thankfully, the family had evacuated the night before and were already out of harm's way when the fire started.
Learn more about Heather's miraculous story by watching the video below.